Sunday, August 10, 2008

Heading home to Canada

I haven't said much since the end of May most likely because there hasn't been much to say. After finally coming to terms with our defeat in Munich, it was back to training and setting new goals. But that wasn't the only thing I had to think about in my life.
The charity event that I have set up was happening in Sydney for the first time in June, so had to do alot of planning for that and decided that it was best that I drive up there picking Margo (my aussie mom) up along the way.

The swim was held at the Sydney Olympic Pool and what an amazing place it is! We only had 7 teams entered but they raised a whopping $70,000! So Sydney will definitely be a good place for years to come for this event. Everyone enjoyed the event and I am sure that it will grow bigger and better next year. I also met some amazing people who were taking part and they have come to be pretty good friends, even if we don't know each other very well.

During June I also had to organise the lunch for the "Go For Gold Scholarships". This is what my events raise the money for. I am happy to say that we were able to present 4 scholarships in the amount of $1000, 19 scholarships in the amount of $3000 and 2 scholarships in the amount of $5000! So it was a very good lunch and gives me such satisfaction to be able to do this. It makes all the hard work during the year worthwhile to see the smiles and tears on the winners faces.

During all this I tried to keep training at a high rate and needless to say that lovely disease that I have decided to rear it's ugly head. Yes in almost two years I have not had a relapse but at the end of June my body rebelled. This landed me in hospital for 3 weeks, first for some Methyl-Prednesolone and then rehab. I think it was the gods way of kicking me in the butt to remind me that I still do have MS, so I just have to manage my life a bit better. I also think that because I was so fit I was able to overcome the relapse a lot quicker than ever. So I am back to training (however not as much) and slowly trying to regain my fitness.

In June I also decided that because I wasn't going to Beijing, maybe it was time to head back to Canada to visit family and friends. It has been over 3 years since I was there last, so it will be great to catch up with family and friends. I am only going for 3 weeks so I am sure that it will be a fun filled, action packed 3 weeks! Even better is the fact that my mom and dad have paid for the flight. My husband Russ was invited to come along, but he declined, something about looking after the dog (but we really know he hates flying)! So I am off on my own and the long flights begin again!

I will try to keep this blog updated over the next three weeks to keep track of the great reunions I am hoping to have.

No comments: