Monday, April 21, 2008

Three Weeks to World Cup

We are only three weeks away from the World Cup in Munich. I am feeling a number of things, excited to be representing Australia for the first time, nervous about racing and anxious about making sure that we come 1st or 2nd.

Really the best thing would be to come 1st! We have to do this to qualify our boat for the Beijing Paralympics. We have only been together as a crew for about a month and a half. We have had some great training sessions during camps and some not so good sessions. I just hope that we can pull it together when it comes to the crunch.



I have had some really good training sesssions here in Melbourne with the women from our club. They and the coaches have been fantastic helping me to get to the point I am at now. I only have a few more training sessions with them until I head to Sydney next week for a camp before we take off to Munich. I will take all of them with me in spirit.



The last few weeks have certainly be a balancing act in regards to my health. It has been hard to know how much to push my limits but be able to keep my MS in check. I think I have been pretty good at it and I haven't had to not train to much. I think the hardest thing is make myself believe that it is okay to rest. As an athlete I think that sometimes we tend to overdo it and not realise that maybe the best thing and most important thing we need is rest. I know that I feel guilty at times because I have opted to rest. But in the long run I know it will keep me in the boat.

I am very excited to be representing my adopted country of Australia and even painted my walking stick to match our uniforms and put the Southern Cross with Kangaroos on it! Actually got some compliments this morning at training. I might be Canadian born, sound Canadian, but I am certainly a proud Aussie!

No comments: